Optimize campaigns and get the most of your marketing budget
Facebook, like many of the other major marketing platforms, provides tools for optimizing campaigns. Some people can find these tools a little confusing, and for that reason we have created the following step by step tutorial.
- You can re-target anyone who may have visited your website in the last 180 days.
- You can target new audiences with the Look-Alike feature.
- You need a way to implement your pixel.
- You need to have visitors in order to either re-target or create a Look-Alike.
- There’s only a 180-day window for retargeting.
- Facebook Business Page.
- A website, a mobile app or other means of implementing the pixel.
- Know how to setup audiences using pixels.
How to Create Pixel
- Log into your Facebook Ads Manager account.
- On the upper left corner, click on Ads Manager.
- Under the Measure & Report header, find Pixels, then click on it.
- At the bottom of the next screen, you’ll find a green button that says Create a Pixel, click on it.
- Type in a name for your Pixel.
- Optional: Enter your website URL.
- Click Create.
The next step is deploying your Pixel, and there are a few ways you can do this. If you have a mobile app, you need to contact your developer.
There are a couple other ways you can deploy your Pixel, and one is through a website, and the other through a URL shortener that supports this feature.
Here’s the first option.
Install Pixel on WordPress Website
- Click on Advanced Ads.
- Click on Ads.
- Click on New Ad.
- Name your Ad something like Website Pixel.
- Select Plain Text and Code, then click Next.
- Copy & Paste your Pixel code, then click Next.
- Click on Next again.
- Click on the plus icon (+) on the right side.
- Click on New Placement button.
- Select </head>.
- Name your Placement as Head, Pixel, etc, or something that indicates it’s Facebook’s Pixel.
- Under Choose the Ad or Group, find your Pixel code and select it.
- Click on Save New Placement.
If you run an HTML website, you can use a FTP account to install it inside the head tag.
Once you’ve installed your Pixel, either go to Ads Manager or check source code to make sure it was installed correctly.
Most users install their pixel on their website or mobile app, however there’s an additional option.
You can find a URL shortner service that supports this feature such as iurl.us, then setup a new account and start using your Pixel with them.
Pixel through URL Shortner
For our example, we’ve setup an account through Yarseo URL Shortner, and we’d like to promote our YouTube channel.
- Login into your iurl.us account.
- Click on Tracking Pixel.
- Select Facebook as Pixel Provider, pick a Pixel Name, and enter your 16 digit numeric Pixel Tag.
- Click on Dashboard.
- Copy and paste your YouTube channel url link.
- Find and select your Pixel under Targeting Pixels.
- Click on Shorten.
- Copy short link and start sharing.
We’ve found that the best way to implement this strategy is by sharing your short url on local Facebook groups.